Server Data Storage (SDS) is a set of services designed for use with servers located in York’s central data centre facilties, and designed to balance performance, reliability and cost.
For most services, the level of performance and reliability are more than sufficient. Most University enterprise I.T. services are operated using these storage services.
SDS supports NFS connections, or may be provisioned to appear as a local disk to a virtual machine. SDS services are available with or without backups included.
Note: Custom storage solutions to meet the unique needs of research, instructional, and enterprise computing are also available. UIT will work with clients, vendors, and other York IT organizations to develop custom solutions that provide the desired level of performance, security and cost-effectiveness.
How do I get it?
How do I get help?
- Submit a Service Request
- Standard support is provided during regular business hours (8:30am – 4:30pm ET).
- Security: access is available only to selected network segments located in central data centres.
- Compatibility: NFS is an industry-standard NAS protocol for high reliability and performance, and is compatible with Linux, UNIX and Windows Servers. Optionally, storage may be configured to appear as a local disk to virtual machines.
- Physical Security: all data is stored on devices within the University’s secure data centre facilities.
- Availability: storage is provided by equipment with multiple levels of redundancy and designed for high availability and fault tolerance.
- Performance: storage is provided by enterprise-class devices with an aggregate of 80Gbps of network bandwidth to data centre networks. Two levels of disk technology with different performance levels (15k RPM SAS and 7k RPM NL-SAS) are available, both with flash/solid-state caching.
- Recoverability: point-in-time snapshots of the data are taken several times per day, allowing easy self-serve recoverability of previous versions of files that have been changed or deleted.
- Backup: this service optionally includes backup and replication of all data to devices on-campus as well as a secure off-campus data centre facility.
- For use with a server or VM operated in York’s central data centres, including Server Hardware Management and Operating System Management Services.
- Custom storage solutions to meet the unique needs of research, instructional, and enterprise computing are also available. UIT will work with clients, vendors, and other York IT organizations to develop custom solutions that provide the desired level of performance, security and cost-effectiveness.
- Charges are based on space allocated and billed monthly or annually by request.
|Server Data Storage|
|Tier 1||High Performance||$0.148 per GB allocated per month|
|Tier 2||Standard Performance||$0.075 per GB allocated per month|