How to send emails to York and Non-York email addresses when using a Non-York Internet Service Provider (ISP)
If you are using an internet service provider other than York (Sympatico, Rogers or other) you may experience difficulties sending emails to non-York email addresses. You will get an error message stating that relaying was denied and message was not sent. To solve this problem York has introduced a new SMTP (Outgoing mail server) through which you would be able to send messages to non-York email address without any problem. To make this work, please follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Important Note for Rogers ISP
Rogers is implementing a new program with their outgoing server. Client(s) planning to use Rogers’ outgoing server for a non-Rogers’ e-mail account will need to verify that account first. Instructions are available online at http://www.rogershelp.com/yahoo/article.php?id=10H-F
How to setup SMTP authentication on your York email
- Start Thunderbird.
- Click on the Tools menu and choose Account Settings ...
- In the left pane, click Outgoing Server (SMTP).
- Server Name: mailrelay.yorku.ca.
- Port: 587.
- Put a check mark beside Use name and password.
- User Name: your York email username.
- Under secure connection: choose TLS, if available and click OK.
Internet E-mail Auto-Protect.
Next time you want to send an email, a certificate window will pop up. You can choose “Don’t show this window again” and then click OK to proceed. You will be asked to authenticate. Use your York email password.
Mac Mail OS X
- Login to your Mac Email program by clicking the Stamp icon.
- From the Mail menu, choose Preferences.
- Click the Accounts button.
- Choose the account you want to make changes in (e.g. email@example.com). If you are using Mac OS X 10.2, then click the Edit button.
- At the bottom right corner, click the Server Settings .. button.
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mailrelay.yorku.ca.
- Server Port: 587.
- Put a check mark beside Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- In Authentication field, choose Password.
- Username: Your York email username (e.g. john).
- Password: Your York email password.
- Click OK.
- Close and Quit from Mac Email program.
- Click Save if it asks to save changes.
Next time you want to send an email, a certificate window will pop up. You can choose “Don’t show this window again” and then click Continue to proceed. You will be asked to authenticate. Use your York email password.